I am making a quilt from a kit; this Underground Blues kit includes some rudimentary directions and 31 fat quarter batik fabrics in blues and greens. This is my first ever kit quilt. I decided to go with the kit because the fabric was less expensive in the kit. I also hoped it would give me some choices to play with that I might not choose myself. If I want a full size quilt for the bed, I will have to augment the kit fabric. But I may do a diamond set pattern with a border. I don't like everything set in stone before I start making it; I like making design decisions along the way. Otherwise it's no fun.
For me, quilting is all about playing with color. I don't enjoy fiddly complex piecing. I keep my utilitarian quilts (for beds and throws) simple so I don't feel bad when they get damaged and I don't cringe when a cat has his way with my quilt. This design fits the bill since the blocks are just strips. It's fun to work with. I paired up the fabrics for the blocks and I've been making about four blocks a day.
|Pippin always helps when I arrange them on the bed|
|fabrics paired to sew|
My second project is making some cushion covers for a couple of chairs. John got the chairs from a yard sale for a total of thirty dollars before I even knew him. Twenty some years ago I made new cushions for both chairs and I am a little tired of the fabric. The cats have also been a bit hard on the cushion fabric... there is something inviting about sharpening your claws on upholstery fabric. So I am making simple covers for the chairs.
I love how these two blue batiks look on the back of this chair. I am still figuring out exactly how I will make this one.
For this chair, I used a bargello quilt I had kicking around. It fits perfectly and I like it.
Then there is my ongoing dye experiment project. Yesterday I tried a simple Shibori inspired technique. I hand sewed a line of thread and pulled it up tight and applied some dye.
|Thread pulled up tight|
|thread opened up|