Sunday, December 8, 2013

Dealing with record cold

It's really cold here for Portland.  It got down to 12 last night and I fear for my plants.  In the meantime, we are working to keep the cold at bay.

The hummingbirds are fiercely guarding the feeders.  When it gets this cold, we have to thaw the sugar water about once an hour or so.  Look how puffed up their feathers are.



Here is a lovely way to stay warm...

Both our front and back doors are a little warped and have cracks the cold can get through.  I stuffed some quilt batting in the cracks.  Works great to stop the draft!



We closed off the upstairs completely.  I used some foam insulation panels and a lot of curtains and towels to seal it off as best I could.

We also left the water dripping in the upstairs bathroom to prevent bursting pipes in case they should freeze.

No comments: