Saturday, September 19, 2015

Early Second Spring

Yesterday we went for a dream date hike to Triple Falls in the Columbia Gorge.  It's a favorite of mine.  It's been a while since I made it to Triple Falls.  Last winter a slide destroyed a section of the trail.  That happens to gorge trails fairly often in the winter, especially in places where people cut through rather than following the trail.  They re-routed the trail and the new part is very steep and more like hiking on scree.  I don't like it one bit.  I sure hope they fix it better than this.  Down is always much worse than up and I worried about the way down.  I made it, but I didn't like it.  Other than that, it was a lovely day and my body did well with the hike.  I am very happy about that.

When the rains start in the fall, we have what I call second spring.  This summer was exceptionally hot and dry.  Many things went dormant for a long time.  We had some rain last week and the ferns are coming back to life in the gorge.  They looked so fresh and green.  This is a very early second spring.



Ponytail falls
 That's John walking behind the falls.  He told me to be quick about the photo.  He doesn't like being under all that overhanging rock.



Middle Oneonta Falls








No comments: