Thursday, October 4, 2012

New old chairs

We found some vintage chairs for our kitchen table.  I've been looking for some and there they were!  They are remarkably just as I envisioned a 1920's kitchen chair should look: plain, with nice lines but not at all fancy.  Update:  I think they are called t-back chairs and are from the early 1900s.  Interestingly,  the seats are made of boards, not plywood.

I didn't want them to be heavy and these are quite light weight even though they are oak chairs. 

table with new chairs


John is going to tighten some of the joints and I am going to re-cover the seats.  I'll have fun looking for the fabric.
new chair
These are our former chairs, our "old" chairs.  We bought them new in the early 1980's.  They are crude reproductions of press back chairs.  I think they are going for a Victorian look but not entirely pulling it off.

table with old chairs
Here is a little history of the press back chair

Press back chairs

Update: I got the fabric and have started recovering the chairs.


No comments: