Monday, November 26, 2012

nasty fall

A few weeks ago I tripped on a sidewalk in my neighborhood that has a big ridge.  I broke my wrist on my dominant hand and hit my head which broke my glasses and caused a couple gashes in my eyebrow.

where i tripped

ridge is over an inch high
 My eye looked the worst but it really wasn't painful... it was just that a lot of blood pooled there.  I think the concrete may have shaved part of my eyebrow right off.   I don't recommend it as a hair removal method.

I also bruised my knee and my shoulder.  Those didn't bother me at first, not until after a couple of days went by,  which took me by surprise.

right after it happened
two days later
four days after it happened



twelve days after it happened



i think it looked worst here.












































The wrist has been the worst to deal with because I am in a cast.  I am amazed at how hard it is to do most anything.  Typing is hard, writing impossible.   Eating is difficult.  Sewing impossible.  Reading a book is hard but my brother in law helped me out with Kindle books.  Ironically, I can still walk so I do a lot of that.

Please keep your sidewalks in good repair.  And if you don't, and you live where I walk, I will turn you in to the city.  Yes, I've become A Sidewalk Policeman.


My wrist is healing okay and I won't need pins.  Glad about that.  I am not a fan of western medicine so this has been hard for me.  Gotta stop now...too difficult to type.

See you soon....

Update... added photo of  my cast, by request.  It was hard to get a good picture.


Update 2:  I have gotten a lot of support from friends and neighbors and also from a kitchen forum I participate in.  The kitchen forum is a great place to get help on kitchen questions but also was very informative as well as supportive for my injury.

kitchen forum thread

2 comments:

ddlip said...

Holy SHIT Woman! Too bad Halloween was last month.

Sharon Kwilter said...

I've tripped, but not fallen, many times in our neighborhood. I've taken to watching where I'm walking now and stopping to look around at the pretty houses and plants. I hope things turn out OK for you and you regain your mobility.