I've been here 22 years. I used to say I died and went to heaven when I moved here. I don't say that anymore.
My habits have had to change drastically in the last few years.
- I no longer go downtown. The homeless and traffic are too terrible to bear. I love the downtown farmers market but have mostly given it up. Nor do I shop downtown anymore.
- I live in a very walkable part of Portland and have always enjoyed walking. We can do most of our errands on foot.. I have curtailed some of my walking and now feel I have to carry pepper spray, even in my neighborhood.
- I've had so many plants stolen from my yard that I no longer plant things I value.
- There is so much theft, car prowling and break ins that I have baby monitors that I use to listen to whether anyone is approaching my house. I take the monitors to bed with me so I can listen all night.
- When I have a package coming, I have to watch for it because leaving anything on the porch makes it likely to be stolen.
- I am afraid to use public transportation.
- I am afraid to attend a city council meeting.
- I don't want friends from out of town to visit because I am ashamed of my city.
It feels like I am under siege. This is NOT my Portland.
Now we have criminals crawling the streets, taking what they want. This guy has a big knife. He is on the porch of this house, trying to get in. The photo is from a security camera video. The video shows him circling the house, taking things and trying to get into the house. Very creepy.