Monday, February 18, 2013

Trial and error Dye experiments with samples

Yesterday I mixed three colors... blue violet, yellow green and rusty orange.  Mixing the colors is very trial and error right now.  It is hard to track what the proportions are and diluting it with water can change the color as well.  For right now, we'll leave it at that.  Hopefully I'll get better at it.

I really am at a just try it and see,  with little control over what may happen.

After I mixed the colors, I tried the yellow green and blue violet on my samples.  I set up my samples by sewing them on a light cotton fabric and stretching the fabric over a small cardboard box.  I used a brush to dampen the samples and apply the yellow green.  I sprinkled on salt.  I painted the violet color on the surrounding cotton background fabric.


 I set them aside to dry and brushed off the salt this morning.  It's fun to see what I get.

Of the samples, I like the lower left habotai the best.


I like the lower part of the violet background even better.  I painted on a stronger violet than I wanted so I brushed on some water.  The dye had already begun to set in some places but spread in others making a swirly effect.  The salt magnified the effect further.

Once again, this is a very trial and error process at this stage.



This is a better rendition of the yellow green color.  The salt pulled the green color out of the dye and made a nice effect on the habotai (aka china silk).














1 comment:

Sharon @ Laurelhurst Craftsman said...

It looks like you've been having fun over there with colors!